Thursday, July 29, 2010

And that's the way the cookie burns.

I've learnt one very important thing today: cookies, and people, are very pleasant when the temperature is right. It's been a horrendous day. Not only scorching outside but inside, too. Well, I've been an absolute crank in this sun. Everything's gone wrong today! My dinner turned out lousy, I've been sloppy at my internship, I've no energy to exercise and... I just burnt my yum cookies. UGH. Following this recipe, I proceeded not to follow the instructions and for some unknown reason, chucked everything into a bowl. Figuring that the crumbly mix looked horrible, I turned it into the rubbish bin (I know. I hate wasting food too but that butter can't go down me or the dog) and settled into try #2. Having never made cookies before, I had no idea how the dough was meant to turn out. Thank goodness for Skype. My baking-goddess friend walked me through all the steps while struggling through her post-wisdom-teeth-op. Talk about dedication. So, I popped everything into the oven and all was going lovely and swell... until I noticed smoke slithering out the oven. Being as clever as I am, I jumped to the oven and opened it, only to be embraced by a cloud of smoke... and the smell of burnt chocolate. Baking lesson #1: never stick a chocolate bit on the top of the cookie - It. Will. Burn. Baking lesson #2: never bake in a revengeful oven. Baking lesson #3: you've got to know your oven. Baking lesson #4: stick to shortbread.

So, the burnt cookies topped off my brilliant, brilliant day. Here's to learning from mistakes...
Yours,
The Baker's Apprentice.

No comments:

Post a Comment