Saturday, July 24, 2010

A hint of the Isles... or an obsession?

So upon reflecting on last week's baking obsession, I realized a very definitely Scottish theme that ran through shortbread and lemon curd. Aaaaah, I love the Scots. During my exchange abroad in the UK this past year, I spent Christmas with a good friend of mine in the country outside Edinburgh. I'm not sure if it was the brilliant haggis, the fabulous people or the freak heavy snowfall (after all, I am Canadian) that made me feel at home. Following my heart, I decided that today's baking 'adventure' was to be scones. And what an adventure it was. Following this tempting recipe (from allrecipes.com), I proceeded to double the ingredients. The dough came out super sticky and moist, which didn't seem right to me. Being someone who loves getting messy, I got dough EVERYWHERE, much to my dog's delight. Being the very particular baker that I am, I didn't let the scones rest for ten minutes but my god, did they turn out brilliantly. I approve this recipe as a truly a fool-proof recipe, you know, me bring a fool and proof. Anyway, wish I had some lemon curd or devon cream to slather on this. Mmmmmmmmm nom-nom-ness.

Yours,
The Baker's Apprentice.

No comments:

Post a Comment