Monday, September 13, 2010

Peanut-butter BLASTERS!


"Marvellous!"

"Delicious!!"

"Edible."

- words from a famed critic
(a.k.a. a neighborhood friend)

Well, the kitchen quite literally is a war-zone but I wouldn't have it any other way! Today's baking project happened to be inspired by mingmakescupcakes' filled cupcakes (before clicking the link, caution!: make sure you've a tissue nearby for those droolicious cupcakes!): chocolate, chocolate cupcakes filled with peanut butter creme and frosted with white chocolate cream cheese. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Anyway, I followed this cupcake recipe from Hello Baker! (teeheehee, I suppose that's me now!) but didn't have toffee or cream, so I basically winged the filling and frosting and went by my tastes. Well, first things off, I very very carefully double-checked the recipe and double-checked my baking powder and my baking soda because you know, beginner bakers (which is hardly me, of course) always mix up the rules. "Oh ho ho", went I, "I shall neverr be caught on such treeck" (with a french accent apparently) and I proceeded to measure out the required amounts... only to realize that I was so careful to check 1/4tsp vs. 1/2tsp on the website and to check that I was using the right ingredients that I forgot to check which teaspoon of my multi-tsp set I was using. Yeah, that's right... just don't ask me how or why I had doubled my baking powder but I figured (after much googling of "too much baking powder help") I would just double the other ingredients. And I'm so glad I did! The mix was oddly thick and only filled 9 of my giant cupcake liners so I ended up using all the batter. Also, I didn't have any bitter sweet chocolate chips (at least, I didn't think I did) so I just added more cocoa. And my goodness did these cupcakes turn out deliciously! They were quite dense though, more like brownies... but sooooo nom-ilicious!

And I definitely got to put my experimental cooking skills to the test... YAY! For the filling, I used about 4 tablespoons or peanut butter, creamed with 1/2cups of butter and powdered sugar until I got the consistency I was happy with. For the frosting, I used about 1/2cup cream cheese, some leftover butter, more powdered sugar and about 1/2 cup of melted white chocolate.

Mmmmmm... these are definitely cupcakes I will try again and ones I'd recommend to anyone. I mean, if I can cook 'em, you sure can. They didn't come out too sweet or too dry but perfect (although my cone cutting and filling needs practice)! Well, knowing my track record, I totally can't be judged for my victory dancing around the kitchen. So w00000ts!

Yours,
The Baker's Apprentice.

PS. Here's a little love from The Rural Alberta Advantage...


No comments:

Post a Comment